Monday, May 18, 2015

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes (Patate al Forno)
















This is one of Chef Andrea's recipes as written by another blogger. 
Recipe says serves 4, YMMV

Ingredients 

6 medium yellow potatoes (not Russet, just a basic yellow thin-skinned potato)
2 cloves garlic, roughly smashed (leave a thin layer of the skin on)
2 stalks fresh rosemary
4 T extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350°. Peel and slice the potatoes into slim wedges and put them in a bowl of water until you're ready to use them.

Remove the potatoes and dry them off a bit with paper towels. Run your hand down the rosemary stalk in the opposite direction that the leaves tilt in order to strip the leaves off.  In a large bowl toss the potato wedges with the olive oil, garlic cloves, rosemary leaves and a light sprinkling of salt.

Arrange the dressed potato wedges on a nonstick tray, making sure that they DO NOT OVERLAP. This is critical to ensuring you get some good crispy bits. Roast at 350° for about 45 minutes or until they are crispy and browned in spots and fork tender. This may take a little longer or a little shorter depending on the size of the potatoes; keep an eye on them.

Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes. This will make them easier to unstick from the pan.

~Source: Chef Andrea Consoli, Cooking Classes in Rome (with permission)
I took a cooking class in Rome, Italy with friends Jay and Bruce.  It was an amazing experience and one of the highlights of the trip.  Chef Andrea uses fresh and local ingredients.  We learned a lot of tips, like leaving the skin on the garlic, that’s where the nutrients are. This was not one of the recipes we made in class, therefore I don't have rosemary or potato tips from Chef A. I referenced the garlic tip because "we Americans" have been taught to peel our garlic. I found this recipe on someone else's blog who took one of Chef Andrea's classes.  I was going to reference the blog but it appears the recipe has been removed. I asked Chef Andrea if I could post the recipe in my blog after I made it.  Permission granted. ;)  
  
Patti’s Notes: I used white rose potatoes and did not peel them. I was kind of surprised when the recipe said to peel the potatoes.  Skin/Nutrients!  I lined the pan with foil to reduce sticking (and easy clean up). I mixed everything in the baking pan eliminating the extra bowl.  I'm all about the easy clean up


These potatoes were excellent.  Crispy on the outside and creamy (almost like mashed potatoes) on the inside.  I served them with Chef Andrea's Meatballs in White Wine Sauce however I think they would also go well with pork chops or grilled steak.  


No comments:

Post a Comment